Pele recalls Gordon Banks’ historic save in emotional tribute to England goalkeeper

Pele recalls Gordon Banks’ historic save in emotional tribute to England goalkeeper
Brazil legend Pele has described Gordon Banks as a goalkeeper with magic after the England goalkeeper passed away aged 81.Banks, widely regarded as England’s greatest ever keeper, will be remembered for his unimaginable save from Pele’s header during the group stages of the 1970 World Cup.Defender Carlos Alberto had released Jairzinho to sprint down the right before rounding Terry Cooper and clipping a perfectly-weighted cross back through the England penalty area.Banks’ save in 1970 is one of the most famous in football3
Banks’ save in 1970 is one of the most famous in football
Pele rose majestically into the air and sent down a bullet header which kicked up off the hard Mexican turf and looked set to fly into the back of the net.Banks, though, somehow threw himself across to stick out his massive right hand and push the ball over the crossbar.“I scored so many goals in my life, but many people, when they meet me, always ask me about that save,” Pele said. “While it was indeed phenomenal, my memory of Gordon is not defined by that – it is defined by his friendship. He was a kind and warm man who gave so much to people.“So I am glad he saved my header – because that act was the start of a friendship between us that I will always treasure. Whenever we met, it was always like we had never been apart.“I have great sadness in my heart today and I send condolences to the family he was so proud of.Pele spoke of his friendship with Banks3
Pele spoke of his friendship with Banks
“Rest in peace, my friend. Yes, you were a goalkeeper with magic. But you were also so much more. You were a fine human being.”While Pele was shocked by the save, Banks knew exactly what he was doing.“When we had training sessions (in Mexico), I noticed that when the ball was dropping in front of me, it was kicking up, not staying low like it did in England,” he said in an interview on the Football Writers’ Association website in January 2018.Banks was 81-years-old when he passed away3
Banks was 81-years-old when he passed away
“I stopped back to do some extra shooting training to help me get used to it, and that helped me make the save. Pele was around the penalty spot when the guy crossed it from the wing, and I knew he was going to get up to it, because he could jump really high.“I knew that I had to come off the line to narrow the angle, then once Pele had punched it with his head down to my right-hand side, I knew I had to get over there very quickly.“The ball was going in and as I dived I had to anticipate how high it was going to come up from the hard surface. As I reached across, I got it right, the ball hit the top of my hand and went off… but honestly, I thought it was a goal.“I hit the floor and turned around, I saw the ball bounce behind the goal – and I thought to myself, ‘Oh, Banksy, you lucky t***’.”

Bolton became an established Premier League club, played in the UEFA Cup and went to the League Cup final under Sam Allardyce’s rule

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer salary at Manchester United will earn him more than Jurgen Klopp and Maurizio Sarri (talksport.com) submitted 12 hours ago by M7plusoneequalsm8 220 comments
Manchester United Manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer Will Earn More

Diego Simeone gesticulates towards the Atletico fans in the first leg

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has admitted for the first time that it will be tough for them to move into their new stadium in this campaign. The Argentine has a 'gut feeling' White Hart Lane
Mauricio Pochettino says move to new stadium 'tough' before

Fulham were relegated some time ago and were been able to hand a Premier League debut to Harvey Elliott last weekend

Guardiola may rue the one that got away - the Champions League surely being his primary aim next season - but this Treble, and the Community Shield should he count it, confirms City continue

Marcus Rashford celebrates scoring from the penalty spot

Transfer news LATEST: Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea news plus all the news from the Premier League and around Europe. Arsenal have had a £30m bid rejected by Lyon for
Mikel Arteta's verdict on Man City fans' Champions League

Roofe will miss Wednesday’s clash with Derby
Juventus vs Ajax live on talkSPORT 2: Full commentary and

Godin embraces one young supporter following Atletico’s 3-2 win against Valencia last month
Rangers news: Gary McAllister reveals he is 'on the mend

The tributes to Sala continued after Reid opened the scoring

Mar 04, 2019 · Brendan Rodgers will have to break Leicester's transfer record and pay £40million if he moves to sign Youri Tielemans in the summer. Tielemans, the Monaco midfielder, joined Leicester on
Leicester City quoted staggering figure to sign loan

Dominic Solanke completed a permanent move to Bournemouth last week

Premier League I'm very happy: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer salutes Man United's spirit in comeback draw against Burnley United rolled back the years with two goals in the final five minutes of a
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer hails Man United spirt in Old Trafford

The Premier League has grown into the most lucrative in the world

Stay ahead with Sky Sports. Our Transfer Centre has the latest football transfer news, details on done deals, and speculation from the rumour mill.
Liverpool FC - Latest news, fixtures, transfers, match

How does the Super Computer believe things will work out in the Championship.

Liverpool news: Alisson produces outrageous save from Virgil van Dijk's shot when back is turned in warm-up to Huddersfield clash. albeit against bottom side Huddersfield, as the Reds
Alisson produces outrageous save from Virgil van Dijk's shot

Werner has been strongly linked with a move to link up with fellow German Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool

Why were you looking forward to this game and visiting the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium? I was really looking forward to this game, as I go to all Palace games home and away, and this was the rarity of a 'new ground' that I hadn't been to before.
Inside Tottenham's new stadium: Every unique feature ahead of

No comments:

Post a Comment